Friday, Dec 6, 2019 · 6p—9p
Submissions Open: Nov 1
Submissions Close: Nov 27
Submission Fee: $25
About Pressed Together
While the backbone of Shockoe Artspace’s programming is museum-scale exhibitions, we work to build the entire ecosystem of art and design from aspiring to seasoned makers. Because of this, we are presenting our first submission show. Open to all and judged by a panel of professional painters, designers, photographers and art writers, this show will center on the theme Pressed Together. Due to location limitations, only two dimensional visual works and free standing sculptural works will be accepted for this show.
Three to five artists and designers will be chosen from all submissions to be featured in a group show at Shockoe Artspace Studios. The group show opening will be held during December’s First Friday in conjunction with our next exhibition opening across the street at Shockoe Artspace. All winners will be eligible to be chosen Best in Show for a chance at a solo exhibition later next year.
Shockoe Artspace, whether through experimental or traditional works, adheres to the highest standards of quality. While we seek beautifully executed work, we also value work that is innovative, presents the artist’s unique voice and engages the viewer intellectually, emotionally, and visually.
Our submission show duration is two months. All selected artists will be notified about specific drop off and pick up times.
A. Works selected will reflect the theme of each exhibition.
B. Submitted works should reflect fresh and liberating interpretations of the artists’ vision of the theme.
C. Works will be judged on the basis of originality, technical quality and thematic depth.
D. Jurying and Notification Submissions will be juried by a panel of art professionals who are not affiliated with Shockoe Artspace. Please note: jurying results will not be relayed over the phone, all notifications will be through email.
Digital Submission Requirements
• Completed entry/submission form
• Completed submission fee of $25 for three images, an additional $5 will be added for up to two additional images
• Your current artist statement
• 3-5 digital images, minimum 300dpi. The images you submit are assumed to be what you will show if you are chosen for the show.
Submission Terms and Conditions
CONDITIONS OF SUBMISSION
1. The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the selection of pieces.
2. Submissions from group collaborations (two persons or more) are welcome. Participating individuals should ensure their details are included in the same application.
3. Artists may submit a maximum number of 5 pieces to the selection panel. Three images are allowed with your submission fee. Two additional images are allowed at $5 per image.
4. Work must be original, current and completed within the past five years.
5. Artists are responsible for ensuring that there are no copyright issues or other legal issues attached to images used or the subjects of their commission.
6. While every endeavor will be made to keep the art secure, any Insurance of the art work will remain the responsibility of the artist.
7. Payment for any sales will be arranged within four weeks of the exhibition. There is 35% commission fee. The 35% commission ensures that Shockoe Artspace can continue to offer events & programs to the community.
8. All shipping/transportation liabilities are the responsibility of the artist.
9. Successful applicants will be required to supply the artwork to Shockoe Artspace no later than December 2nd at 5:00 pm. Drop off instructions will be given to all chosen exhibitors at the close of the submission period.
10. All artwork must be ready to hang / place when delivered. Shockoe Artspace staff will be responsible for the displaying of the piece.
11. Shockoe Artspace reserves the right to not accept work based on size limitations and/or weight.
12. Collection dates and times to be advised. Failure to do so will incur storage and transportation charges. Arrangements for packing and return of art are the responsibility of the artist. Early drop off is absolutely not permitted.
13. Show timeline and guidelines must be strictly followed.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY
All possible care is taken in handling and showing of artwork. Exhibitors understand and agree that all entries are submitted at the owner’s risk. Shockoe Artspace does not responsibility for: loss or damage to art work(s); the loss or damage to frames or glass, no matter how sustained; or the sale of the artist’s artwork. Shockoe Artspace recommends that all exhibitioners obtain and carry their own insurance coverage.
Exhibitor shall indemnify and hold Shockoe Artspace and its elected and appointed officers, agents, employees, and representatives harmless from any and all claims, costs, and liabilities for any personal injury, death, or property damage which is the result of the handling and showing of artwork at the show, or of operations performed by exhibitor, exhibitor’s contractors, subcontractors, agents or employees, whether such operations were performed by exhibitor or any of the exhibitor’s contractors, subcontractors, agents or employees at the show. Nothing in this section shall be construed to mean that exhibitor shall hold Shockoe Artspace harmless from any claims of personal injury, death or property damage arising from, or alleged to arise from, any sole negligence or willful act on the part of Shockoe Artspace, its elected and appointed representatives, officers, agents and employees, as it relates to exhibitor’s handling or showing of art work or of operations performed by exhibitor or its contractors, subcontractors, agents or employees at the show.
Anyone is allowed to enter. There are no restrictions as to the age of the artist/writer or the medium the artist chooses. Due to location limitations, only two dimensional visual works and free standing sculptural works will be accepted for this show.
All art forms are acceptable (photography, oils, watercolor, etc.) but must be submitted in digital format via e-mail to ensure the artist retains possession of the original until the selection has been determined. When the selection has been announced, the artist must forfeit the original artwork to the Shockoe Artspace for the period of the show so that it may be exhibited.
Size/Dimension and Weight
All art forms must be ready to hang and ready for display/showcase. There are no minimum size requirements, but hanging works must not exceed (including frame) 80 x 80 inches; Works may not exceed 30 lbs. If the works does not meet the size and weight requirement, Shockoe Artspace has right of refusal regardless if the works have been juried.
How to Enter
There is a $25 entry fee for 3 images, two additional images will be accepted for an additional $5 per image. Digital images of all artwork must be submitted online. The image must be accompanied with a completed show entry form. If you are submitting multiple entries, be sure to indicate clearly which title belongs with which image. Entries must be received by deadline as stated above by midnight, EST.
Number of Entries
An individual may submit up to 5 separate entries.
Entries must be submitted by the original artist. You must be the sole owner of the image you submit and the submission of the piece and the entry form is your guarantee that you are the author and copyright holder of the work.
The judging is based upon overall artistic excellence. In determining the presence of artistic excellence the following components were considered heavily: composition / design, focal point, use of color, medium manipulation, unification, originality, creativity, feeling, and choice of subject matter. Entries that fail to comply with the entry guidelines will be disqualified.
Judges will select a Best of Show. Winners will be announced/notified at the opening. No financial compensation is provided to the winners.
Submitting Digital Images
Images should be submitted online. Images will not be returned.
Return of Art
Since all entries will be received digitally (a replica of the original) there is nothing to return. Shockoe Artspace will require only the original of the selected submission. Upon closing of show, Shockoe Artspace will provide instruction for collection of the works of art.
Artists retain the copyright of their work. By entering the exhibition, artists agree to have their submitted images displayed on the Shockoe Artspace website as well as any other marketing/PR paraphernalia without any fee or other form of compensation. Images will be credited to the artist only after the winning submission has been determined.
Additional Terms and Conditions
By participating in the show, you agree to release and hold harmless any affiliate of Shockoe Artspace, board, agents and advertising and promotional agencies from any and all damages, injuries, claims, causes of actions, or losses of any kind resulting from your participation in this exhibition, including infringement of intellectual property rights. Shockoe Artspace, board, affiliates, agents, and advertising and promotional agencies assume no responsibility or liability for any damages, injuries, claims, causes of actions, or losses of any kind arising in whole or in part from this show.
Please do not send any unrequested materials to Shockoe Artspace.